Monday, December 14, 2015

First Semester Reflection (extra credit blog)

As I finish my first semester in pursuit of my future as an educator I'm left with a lot to reflect on. It's been challenging and has completely redefined what it means to me to be a good instructor. There are several issues, such as the difference between an achievement gap and an educational debt, that I'd never even considered. There truly are a lot of ways to see the world,  and education is no different.

The biggest thing I take away from this first part of my journey is how much more there is to education than just teaching content. The content is not nearly as important as the skills that are developed, and impact that the classroom experience has on the student.

My first set of courses have helped me focus my efforts by giving me the tools to figure out and define my own personal educational philosophy, along with lead me to opportunities to meet like minded students and professionals.

There are so many challenges that the education world faces, from bureaucracies to outdated models, to public perception and more. Being successful as a teacher isn't just about being a facilitator for students but by being an active member in the community, and tuning into the changes that need to occur. Without people innovating and pushing forward and rethinking systems that have been in place for more than 120 years, I don't think there would be a place for me in education today. I'm very grateful to be entering this field when I am, on the cusp of change and new things, things that I know I would have loved to experience as a student, and things that I truly believe will cultivate and guide students to be prepared for the future.

So now it's time to go on to part two, the second semester of my education at MCTC. As I do so I do so with a whole new set of tools and ideas, a whole new sense of focus and purpose, and a whole new list of goals and ambitions. There's no way for me to have imagined when I started this journey where I would be right now, and that makes me so excited to see where I'll be in another 4 months.  

1 comment:

  1. Ah, it makes me so happy that the classes are helping you to unravel and reconsider your approach to teaching and learning. In EDUC 2350, we will read Kevin Kumashiro who says that we are only truly learning if we are uncomfortable and challenged. I wish that for you in all of your teacher education classes.

    Looking forward to next semester!

    ReplyDelete